Contemplating Sudan, praying for Ochalla and Kwoto


Every time i think of the tragic song that Sudan has become, my mind goes to my dear friend, Stephen Ochalla, artistic director of Kwoto Dance Institut in Khartoum, who to escape the ethnic cleansing going on at home against the 'black' Sudanese had decided to spend time learning and teaching dance in Amsterdam. A deep ideologue, Ochalla and his institut had been active on the political stage, using his theatre to mount campaign against the decimation of Sudanese of his hue by an obvious 'arabite' political elite led by soon-to-be-fugitivised President Omar. When the scene was becoming too volatile and discomforting for his kind of activism -- recall what happened to Ngugi Wa Thiong'o and his theatre comrades in Kenya of the Jomo Kenyatta and later Arap Moi time -- Stephen Ochalla was lucky to be helped out by the Dutch government through The Netherlands embassy in Khartoum to go cool off in an art academy in Amsterdam where he was teaching up till 2003 when we last met. Then he had been full of hope of returning home the 'next year' to continue his activism. I had expressed worry at the choice he was ready to make but Ochalla assured that even while he was stepping to 'relief'in Amsterdam, he had assured himself he had to return home as soon as he concluded his study. According to him, it was discomforting enough that he had to leave behind scores of friends and fans of his theatre and as well members of his troupe. 'I have to go back and join them', he had said. Yet he knew that his choice was fraught with danger. I knew that too. I have prayed ever since then that someday I would see the thick-built Ochalla alive; and on duty. I am still praying anyway.. even as Omar and his Janjamadness have gone completely naked into the market place. Stephen Ochalla, this is for you... still waiting for that promise of the rain.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Jahman, I totally never knew that the Nigerian community had a spoken word sub community. I love this post. It was extremely insightful and for this very reason, I have gone and purchased the Jumi "imole " cd that you said you love so much. It may be a bit too deep for me right now. But I am getting into it. Love the instrumentals, the production, and the last song for her son/daughter. I bought it on cd baby for 20 bucks. Can you believe it? 2000Naira...no one in north america pays that much for cds anymore...but on your recommendation i did it! ronke, toronto
Thanks Ronke. Glad you find Imole such a great take. Where di you buy the CD? Naija or Toronto?
There is huge spoken word community here. In fact i have just staged the second edition of my WordSlam last Saturday. Check www.wordslam.blogspot.com. There is young man doing some blogging of the experience.
So how do you do? Sorry i havent been able to catch up with you communication-wise. Just crazily bogged down by over-commitments. Be well
Anonymous said…
The true deal witha new form a of fermaldahide that is a new new chemical thats a different color dont drain my blood to the drain send it to a jug of glasss bury it with me. If I can get a vat the is for my whole body I want to have little tubeus along my body that is oxy fresh and anti death chems drugs along the surface of the skin If Im Am In clothes that will dry of I will move and open the tanke from above from the inside top them walk though the bomb shelter to freedom leav clothes on me that is like I can be realy allowed to walk outside a case of food and anti evil injection drugs case on the way.
Please read Scott Florance myspace.com fernhouse@hotmail.com Hans11
deposit 200,000 To BOA Bank 8756-1049
Anonymous said…
The true deal with a new form a of fermaldahide that is a new new chemical thats a different color dont drain my blood to the drain send it to a jug of glass bury it with me. If I can get a vat the is for my whole body I want to have little tubes along my body that is oxy fresh and anti death chems drugs along the surface of the skin If Im Am In clothes that will dry of I will move and open the tanke from above from the inside top them walk though the bomb shelter to freedom leav clothes on me that is like I can be realy allowed to walk outside a case of food and anti evil injection drugs case on the way.
Please read Scott Florance myspace.com fernhouse@hotmail.com Hans11
Givea free gift to BOA acount 8756-1049

Popular posts from this blog

This weekend, I remember Ijo Dee

Sam Loco Efe... Theatre King Of All Time

CORA holds Publishers’ Forum as part of 12th Lagos Book & Art Festival.